Battle Lake was the name given township 133,
Range 38 on July 7. 1878. The first election
was held at the house of M.J. Mattson on Aug.
5, 1878. In response to a petition of C.W.
Brandberg and others on Aug. 1, 1884, the
commissioners changed the name to Henning.
It was the 38th township to be organized and
began its official career the same day as
are no lakes in this township. The southwest
part drains into the Red River and the north
and east sections drain into the Leaf River
or Mississippi water shed.
the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1882 and
the Soo Line in 1902 intersect in the Village
of Henning, which is the only platted village
in this township.
1977, due to the merger of the Northern Pacific
and the Burlington Railroad, the tracks from
Wadena to Fergus Falls on the spur line have
been removed and have left the area with only
the Soo Line passing through.
The Village of Henning is located in Henning
Township at the junction of the Soo Line and
Northern Pacific Railroads.The first election
was held on Sept. 17, 1887 at the store of
J. Gronbeck with 38 votes cast.