Emergency Information & Alerts
Current Status: Collecting Storm Damage Data & Assisting in Recovery
On June 13, 2017 after 8:00 pm the Otter Tail County area experienced a severe weather event. A severe thunderstorm moved from the southwest corner of Otter Tail County in a northeast path through the cities of Vergas and Dent. The storm included strong wind gusts up to 67 mph (recorded at the Fergus Falls Airport) and heavy rain. There were no confirmed tornado sightings and no reports of hail. Several areas experienced downed trees and power lines, damage to buildings and residences, and outbuildings and lake equipment were damaged or overturned. No injuries were reported to the Otter Tail County Sheriff’s Office.
Residents are reminded to be aware of and avoid downed power lines that may still be live and in contact with roads, vehicles, and trees. Residents should also use caution in removing debris and trees as several trees are precariously leaning or lying.
In a severe weather event, residents are reminded to use the 911 emergency lines only in the event of an actual emergency. Power outages are to be reported directly to the power company, and their phone lines may be busy for some time. Please also make advance arrangements for shelter & care in the case of severe thunderstorms or the threat of tornadoes.
Contributors: Otter Tail County Sheriff's Office
National Weather Service Event Summary:
A Storm Summary of the Wind and Hail Event of June 13, 2017
Report Your Storm Damage:
All residents & visitors, business owners & utility operators are encourage to report how severe weather and other emergencies impact their homes, facilities and operations. This information may be used to determine whether Otter Tail County is eligible to receive state and/or federal disaster aid. Share with us your experience & damages
- Otter Tail County cannot accept branches larger than 3 inches in diameter at its Transfer Stations.
- Consult your city/township or a local tree service company for additional options.
- Check your utility's website for power outage & restoration estimate maps for details on your area.
- Before, During, and After Power Outages (ready.gov)
- Power Outages: Keep Food Safe (University of Minnesota Extension)
- Refrigerated Food and Power Outages: When to Save and When to Throw Out (foodsafety.gov)
- Frozen Food & Power Outages: When to Save and When to Throw Out (foodsafety.gov)