Address & Sign Requests

An address is needed for all habitable structures in Otter Tail County. If you are in the process of the construction of a structure that will be used for part-time or full-time use, you will need an address for many reasons:
  • Telephone companies require a physical address for their part in the Enhanced-911 system.
  • The United States Post Office has adopted our addressing system to replace the rural route addresses previously used. Please check their website for information on new Zip+4 numbers.
  • Mortgage, insurance, well installers and many other businesses are requiring a physical address.
To be assigned an address, you will need to call the Otter Tail County Geographic Information Systems Department 218-998-8310 (or fill the New Address Request Form) to give them the information about your property. It is very helpful if you know your tax parcel number (14-digit number on your tax statement) . You must have the driveway and at least the footings of the structure to facilitate the global positioning system used to determine location. The time needed to process this information is usually between 1 to 2 weeks.

Was this page helpful for you? Yes No