East Battle Lake was the name given township 133, Range 38 on July 7. 1878. The first election was held at the house of M.J. Mattson on Aug. 5, 1878. In response to a petition of C.W. Brandberg and others on Aug. 1, 1884, the commissioners changed the name to Henning. It was the 38th township to be organized and began its official career the same day as Bluffton.
There are no lakes in this township. The southwest part drains into the Red River and the north and east sections drain into the Leaf River or Mississippi water shed.
Both the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1882 and the Soo Line in 1902 intersect in the Village of Henning, which is the only platted village in this township.
In 1977, due to the merger of the Northern Pacific and the Burlington Railroad, the tracks from Wadena to Fergus Falls on the spur line have been removed and have left the area with only the Soo Line passing through.
The Village of Henning is located in Henning Township at the junction of the Soo Line and Northern Pacific Railroads. The first election was held on Sept. 17, 1887 at the store of J. Gronbeck with 38 votes cast.