Marriage License Application
Applicants are asked to arrive prior to 4:00 pm Monday through FridayBeginning May 1, 2016 Marriage applicants will complete and submit their application online at
https://moms.mn.gov/application. If you do not have access to a computer, you may use the public computer at the Otter Tail County Recorder’s office. Staff will be available to assist you if needed.
• Applicants must be 18 years of age or older at the time of the wedding. If under 18, additional requirements apply. Contact our office for additional information.
• List full legal names.
• List address and state of residence.
• List date of birth for both applicants.
• List Social Security numbers for both applicants.
• If convicted of a felony on or after August 1, 2000 and you wish to change your name, there can be up to a 30 day waiting period. Additional forms must be competed and signed by the prosecuting authority. Contact our office for additional information.
• If previously married, you will need to list how the last marriage was terminated, the date terminated, the place terminated and the court in which it was terminated.
• List full names of both the parties after marriage. A name change through the marriage process is a LEGAL CHANGE of name. Therefore, make sure you identify the name you want after marriage and accurately enter the information.
• List the permanent mailing address where the marriage certificate will be sent after the ceremony.
• The marriage license is valid for a period of 6 months and only valid in the State of Minnesota.
• You do not need to be married in the Minnesota County from which you obtained your license.
• Your marriage certificate needs to be recorded in the same county in which the marriage application was issued.
• The application does NOT need to be printed by the applicants. Signatures will be done in person at the time of completion and payment in the Recorder’s Office.
• Both applicants shall appear at the Otter Tail County Recorder’s office to finish applying the marriage license and to pay the appropriate fee. If one of the applicants cannot appear in person, a Supplemental Marriage License Application will be given to the party appearing before us to be completed by the non-appearing marriage applicant.
• Inform the Recorder’s Office staff if you had applied online or if you need to use the public computer.
• Provide a valid picture ID to the Recorder’s Office staff.
• Bring the signed and notarized Premarital Education Statement on church letterhead or a signed and notarized Educator’s Statement.
FEES(Cash or check accepted. Application fees are non-refundable)
• Full License Fee is $115.00
• Reduced Fee is $40.00
• Certified Certificate of Marriage is $9.00
In order to qualify for the reduced fee of $40.00, the parties must submit a signed and dated Premarital Education Statement from the person who provided the premarital education confirming that a minimum of 12 hours were completed. The premarital education must be provided by a licensed or ordained minister or the minister’s designee, a person authorized to solemnize marriages under MN Statute 517.18, or a person authorized to practice marriage and family therapy under MN Statute 148B.33. The education must include the use of premarital inventory and the teaching of communication and conflict management skills.
Upon receipt of your marriage license, please be sure to read it carefully to check for any spelling error of names, addresses, etc.… Changes requested after the marriage might require a court order to change.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact the Otter Tail County Recorder’s Office or you may search https://moms.mn.gov which is a website for the statewide marriage index.